Add Custom Map Layer
The Add Item Module contains all of the create functionality for every Object in the portal. Always start by finding the object you wish to add from the list of items in the Add Item Module (+ Sign). To add a Custom Map Layer, select Add Map Layer from the list.
Add Map Layer
Adding Custom Map Layers gives users additional tools for viewing and interacting with assets and information about their location with reference to other points of interest on the map. While Places and Geofences can help users visualize their Assets with reference to points and areas of interest, Map Layers provide another way of viewing those areas.
Prior to adding a custom map layer, users will need to have a Custom Map Layer file in one of the acceptable formats to upload. Users can get these files from a number of mapping services like Google Maps and Google Earth. The formats accepted by the portal are:
- Keyhole Markup Language (KML): KML files are the most commonly used for mapping platforms and are perfect for adding places, geofences, or map layers to the platform
- Tile layer: a file type supported and used by ArcGIS
- GeoJSON: GeoJSON is a JSON based format designed to represent the geographical features with their non-spatial attributes. This format defines different JSON objects and their joining fashion. JSON format represents a collective information about the Geographical features, their spatial extents, and properties. An object of this file may indicate a geometry (Point, LineString, Polygon), a feature, or collection of features. The features reflect addresses and places as points; streets, main roads, and borders as line strings; and countries, provinces, and land regions as polygons. Using the GeoJSON, different mobile routing and navigation applications can indicate the coverage of their services.
- GPS exchange format (GPX): Files with GPX extension represent GPS Exchange format for interchange of GPS data between applications and web services on the internet. It is a light-weight XML file format that contains GPS data i.e. waypoints, routes and tracks.
- Image overlay: allows users to upload a PNG or other graphic file as an overlay
- Web Map Service (WMS): another file type common to products like ArcGIS
Users will be asked to provide the following information when creating a Custom Map Layer.
- Name: Name the map tile
- Type: Select the type of map file from a drop-down options list (see above)
- File: Upload the map file from the local host
- Enabled by Default: Should this map layer be available to all users, and should it be automatically turned on? Users can toggle map layers on/off with the Map Tools bar and in the Manage Module.
- Preview: Unique to this add functionality is the ability to test the new map layer before adding it to the portal. Clicking Preview will show the user what the interface will look like with the new layer enabled.
- Add Map Layer: When finished, clicking this button will push the map layer to the portal
From the Manage Module, users can interact with (edit/delete) their Custom Map Layers, and they can also launch the Add Map Layer form.